Sunday, December 19, 2010

Massages & Microecon

My gf loves massages. So we've been getting foot massages (aka fish nibbling on your feet), back rubs, head massages, and so on - I think we're averaging one every three days. And the cost for most of the massages ranges from $9 - $50 per person. Ubiquitous parlors = more selections = relatively low cost to consumers (I have been reading a bit of Mankiw's Intro to Microecon in prep for class :) 

Anyhow, the thing that amazes me about the massages is the fact that so far - NONE of the massages - even the one I got from Devarana at the Dusit Thani Hotel in Bangkok has been painless. Parts of the massages have been extremely amazing but parts of them have been really painful! I just do not understand why this is the case. Some of it I chalk up to the fact that maybe I'm sore from restarting certain workouts while in Thailand (swimming/free weights/etc...) - but how is it that no matter where I go I am in quite a bit of discomfort at various points during the massage. Intrigues me... but I continue to forge ahead (mainly because my better half's favorite place in the world is in the patron's seat at a massage parlor) - and I think I will find the massage technique most suitable for me.  Next stop Swedish massage. I'm hopeful (or maybe I'm just foolish).

Back to the FYIs - been in Bangkok a few days now... eating my way through the city. Enjoying every minute of it. Spending time with family (my maternal grandmother just landed) and with my gf's family (parents here as well). Hear it is blistering cold in Chicago and that France is getting quite a bit of snow as well.

Starting tomorrow I plan to buckle down on two fronts - swimming & reading (in prep for classes). Wish me luck!

2 comments: