Monday, February 28, 2011

Things I miss...


Obviously there's all of you beautiful people reading this (and lots of you who aren't :), but a conversation I just had reminded me of a few things that I've yet to find here or maybe haven't really spent the time to find. I hope it is the latter.

Are there times in life where you feel something is missing. Your entire being is functioning. You're in a great place. You are actually happy. There's obviously dreams you have yet to achieve but if someone stopped you on the street and said, "Hey Bud - are you happy?" what would you say?

Personally, if you don't know the person I would probably suggest you bolt, but say it was a kind old gentleman/woman/child. (not that I don't trust the rest of us/you - its just that the universal symbols for innocence are in the extreme spectrums of age... partially because they have yet to be corrupted or are wise enough to be thoughtful and reflective and partly because you can outrun them so you just as easily believe they are innocent).

And in this fictional scenario that question was raised - what would you say... I would say, "Heck yes, I am. And I'm happy to be happy, but sometimes... I know I could be just a little bit happier."

That's begging the stranger to ask a follow-up question, "Oh? Why's that chap?"

Because I've been spoiled by the gift of memory. I can be here now, but there's always what was and in those moments of what was, so many come flooding with happiness (many times skewed since your brain distorts good to great and meh to bad quite frequently) - that I wonder, in comparison to such events of what-was, how happy am I.

Ah, what a curse, init?

And right now, in all honesty, my response to this here person would be, "Sir/Ma'am/Kiddo - it is because I miss what I know."

By now, you are scratching your head, I hope. Or you're shaking it, which would mean you know me relatively well.

Because I think we can all agree that there's just about a ton of things I could be referencing, but none so core to who I am than

choc.o.late.MILK. ober.friggin.WEIS. I. kid you. NOT!

what I would do for a bowl of cereal with oberweis chocolate milk right now, I don't even think I can express in words. You have to see it in my eyes.

yes, you are.
There are of course other food-related items, but also non-food related items like certain pens, cable TV (not that much actually), and of course - a bass and an amp. Music. I mean we could launch into a philosophical debate.

But back to chocolate milk. Now I'm not saying that you should do this but if my birthday was coming up (March 21st) then why not send me what you know I want?

Trick question - because by the time it got here, it would either be spoiled and/or refused by Customs. And the pang of seeing but not being able to enjoy would further propel me into my nostalgic moments of what-was.

Instead, do me the second favor of making sure to purchase some of this oh-so-lovely goodness. The more of us that purchase, the higher their sales and hopefully profit margins (if their marginal costs are higher than their COGS, etc...) - the more cash, the more investments, and the more expansion considerations are raised.

Soon, Oberweis will be more prevalent than Starbucks, and then you'll know, in your heart-of-hearts, that you were part of the revolution. And it was all part of a birthday present.

If THAT is not fulfilling I don't know what is.

Boom Boom - tricked you again - by now you should be saying, "We know what is... Oberweis Chocolate Milk ya freak!"

100 points. You pass.

Thank you.

"Peace dudes." -RM.

No comments:

Post a Comment