Sunday, November 1, 2009

GMAT!

The GMATs were more of a pain that I want to admit. I took it once, cold, and did decently - mind you, I had to rush back to my apartment at 7:45AM to get my passport because the testing center would not accept my Driver's License as a valid form of ID (I probably should've read the directions better!)

After I tipped a cabbie $20 for getting to my apartment in Lincoln Park and back to Downtown in under 15 minutes (this includes me sprinting up 3 flights of stairs in relatively uncomfortable business attire) - I started the test, in probably the worst pre-testing frame-of-mind. But after that first experience I realized exactly what needed to be done to make the GMAT a friend in my MBA journey and not a mortal enemy standing between me and my goal...

My advice (and I actually have an email drafted with all these details so if you want more details please contact me) - is to simulate the test-taking conditions and take at least - AT LEAST - 5 FULL length tests on your own. You could also apply for a GMAT-test-prep course, but I did not have the flexibility in schedule, so I went DIY.

Think of preparing for the GMAT as training for the Marathon, except when runners tell you generally not to run the full 26.2 mi until the day of, I advise you to take SEVERAL FULL LENGTH tests. Runners tell you that the last 5 miles is adrenaline, autopilot, or self-preservation. With the GMAT, the "last 5 miles" can be the difference between a 680 and a 700 - you've finished a lot of questions and the CAT (Computer Adaptive Test) is getting ready to neatly tuck you into the score niche you belong in. Going into autopilot and/or sprinting requires a change in pace that I would not recommend. You want to feel how you will feel - completely drained - post-GMAT (even during practice tests so you know what you're up against). If nothing else, it just means that you have even MORE energy day-of the GMAT since you've already finished the figurative 26.2 miles a few times prior :)

In the end, the GMAT is strategy. Once you realize the mind-game that it is, you see much clearer - it is like one of those painted illusions... squint your eyes a little and it all makes sense. In this case you have to squint your whole life a little bit for a short period of time. I suggest 3 months of prep - this involves diagnostic tests, practice problems, and full length tests. There are several companies with GMAT prep and each book has at least 1 if not 3 full length tests. The practice material is also great.

I hope the visual analogies help (yes I'm a visual learner :)

Anyhow, that was my struggle with the GMAT. And a successful one at that. We're good friends now, although we may not write or call that often, we both know we've got each other's backs...

And I cannot forget to mention - it is always helpful to have a significant other of some sort helping you out ;) I know that it was especially difficult for me to stick through the self-imposed study schedule without the help of my better half... (she comes up more often in posts closer to the actual acceptance too - notice a theme? yep. teamwork=priceless ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment